Here when you need Claims Support

Expertise, understanding and a healthy dose of give a damn

We promise to be there when it matters most. We’re part of a global group, but proud to be a community broker. Bringing world-class claims expertise and insight to you, delivered with a personal touch from our UK claims specialists. 

The first step in the event of any claim is to let us know about it. Your usual contact will then put you in touch with your dedicated claims advisor - a real person - assigned to you and your business, whose job is to help you through the claims journey. We know what’s important to you – getting on with business. So we’ll make the claims process as simple, solution focused and swift as humanly possible.

Out of hours emergency

If you need to report a claim to your insurer directly, you can find emergency numbers here.

Expect something of real value

  • Our claims team handled more than 43,000+ in 2020!
  • 90+ in-house claims advisors – we are based in the UK to support you and your business when you need us most.
  • Access to expert claims consultants – If you have a large loss, there is specialist support on hand for your business at a critical time. 

How to make a claim with Marsh Commercial

Property claims
Motor claims
Liability claims
Freight claims
Travel claims
Financial claims

What to do in the event of a claim

Notifying us

If you have an incident involving your property, it is important you act quickly by contacting your usual contact. Our dedicated claims team will support and guide you throughout the process. 

Top tips

Quickly notifying us of an incident will help us to control the costs of your claim
Remember to take photographs of any damage as evidence to support your claim

What information will you need?

Date the incident happened
Address where the incident occurred 
Details of what has happened
• Photographs of any damage
Evidence of potential costs and impact on your business
 Details of any other parties involved
Occupancy and use of the property at the time
Crime reference and police authority details for any thefts

Getting you back in operation

We will liaise with your insurers and keep you informed throughout the claims process. Insurers can appoint loss adjusters, builders, decorators and surveyors and source replacement items. Once they have assessed the loss a settlement will be made. If you have experienced a major loss like a flood or fire, our specialist in-house claims consultancy may be able to assist. Your claims handler will be able to go through all of your options with you.

What to do in the event of a claim

Notifying us

If you have been involved in an accident or your vehicle has been stolen, please contact your usual contact as soon as you can. Our dedicated claims team will support and guide you throughout the process.

What information will you need?

Date of accident 
Vehicle registration 
Full driver details:
     Date of birth
     Test date
     Convictions and licence endorsements
Third party details and vehicle registration
Witness contact details
• Photographs of damage to your vehicle, if applicable
• Photographs of damage to any other vehicles involved and of the scene of the accident, if applicable and available


Your insurer will provide you with a courtesy vehicle and instruct an approved network repairer to assess your vehicle and carry out repairs. If you wish to use your own repairer you will need to have a repairs estimate completed, and to send this to your claims handlers for review. Your dedicated claims handler will be able to discuss all the options with you.


If your vehicle has been stolen, please report it to the Police within 24 hours, and advice us of your Crime Reference Number.

Third party claims

If you are contacted by a third party representative, please advise us immediately. Make sure to send us any correspondence you receive unanswered.

Non fault loss recovery

For accidents where you are not at fault and the third party has accepted blame, your insurers will seek recovery of your losses. If you have opted for Motor Legal Expenses insurance, legal fees resulting from this action will be covered by your policy.

What to do in the event of a claim

Notifying us

In the event of an incident leading to injury or property damage, involving an employee or member of the public, please notify your usual contact as soon as possible. We will then engage with your insurers and guide you throughout the process.

Top tips

Any letters received in connection with an incident should be sent straight to us, without response
Any legal proceedings should be emailed to us immediately, as these have tight legal deadlines
Never admit responsibility without the prior authority of your insurer

 What information will you need?

Accident record and internal incident report
Report to the health and safety executive – this can be submitted online at www.riddor.gov.uk
Statements from any witnesses 
Photographs taken after the accident
Relevant risk assessments
Employee training and personal protective equipment
Maintenance records
Wage details (for employers liability) for thirteen weeks prior to accident 

What to do in the event of a claim

Notifying us

In the event of a loss or a potential claim please contact your usual contact immediately, as transit and marine insurance has strict time limits of claims notification. We will then contact your insurers and guide you throughout the process.

Top tips

Prompt notification will help us to control the costs of any claim and ensure deadlines are not missed
Early notification of any incidents involving damage to goods will allow your insurers to fully investigate matters and address claims early

What information will you need?

Date of incident
Details of how the loss occurred
Location of the goods
Evidence of costs and impact on business
Other parties involved
Transit documents
Photos of the damage
Commercial invoice including weight of consignment
• Any correspondence you have received from other parties involved

What to do in the event of a claim

Notifying us

In the event of an emergency whilst travelling, your travel policy helpline will offer 24 hour assistance. They will arrange medical appointments or treatment if you are injured, require a hospital or need help returning home. If you do not have your policy information containing this helpline number with you, please consult our emergency contacts page and locate your insurers.

If the incident does not require immediate assistance, please notify your usual contact as soon as you are able. They will be able to direct you to your dedicated claims handler, to guide you through the claims process.

What information will you need?

Completed claim form - your dedicated claims handler will be able to provide a blank copy
Copies of travel documents: tickets, invoices, or boarding passes
Receipts for any costs incurred
Crime reference in the event of theft or loss of belongings
Copies of purchase invoices for items lost or stolen
Airline report in the event of lost luggage

What to do in the event of a claim

What policies do financial claims fall under?

Directors and officers
Professional indemnity
Legal expenses insurance
Management liability
Employment practices liability insurance 

Notifying us

Due to the nature of this type of insurance, these policies react on a claims-made basis. This means that no matter what date of an alleged incident, your current policy will be used in the claims process. Please contact your usual contact as soon as possible. They will direct you to your dedicated claims handler, who will guide you through the claims process.

Top tips

Some policies have a time frame of only a few days for notification, therefore please notify us as soon as you become aware of any claim or circumstance
It is vital to inform us prior to undertaking any legal action or incurring any legal fees or representation costs


Under the terms of your policy you are required to notify any claims including any allegations, disputes or grievances raised which may rise to a claim against you.

Examples of things to report:

HSE/HMRC investigations
Grievance raised by an employee
Allegations of professional negligence

What information will you need?

Claimants details 
Date you first became aware of the circumstance which may give rise to claim
Background information/brief chronology of events
Details of the circumstances together with your comments on liability 
Potential claim value

Frequently asked questions

Will I need to complete a claims form?

It depends on the type of claim you have, and on who your insurers are. Your dedicated claims handler will send you a blank form for completion if we do need one.

In a lot of cases the information we take from you over the phone or via email is enough for us to fully understand what has happened. In other cases however - especially if the circumstances are a little confusing or if there is a disagreement over who is at fault - a claims form is helpful for us. This often happens with motor claims, where we may need a 'statement and diagram' from you.

Some insurers need claim forms in the majority of incidents. If you are asked to fill one out don't worry, it is a standard process and should take less than 5 minutes to complete.

Will I need to pay an excess?

If you are claiming for your own damage, yes. Your excess is payable regardless of blame, and your policy documents will tell you exactly how much it is.

In the event that you are not at fault for the incident, and another party has accepted full responsibility, your insurers will work with a legal team to claim your excess back from the other party on your behalf.

If you are not claiming for your own damage, you do not need to pay an excess. This is the case even if you are at fault for the incident, and another party is claiming through your policy. Your excess only applies to your own damage.

What is the repairs process for claims involving damage?

For claims involving damage to your property or vehicle, your insurer has access to a network of pre-approved repairers who can assist. After a repairer has been assigned to you, they will assess the damage, provide you with a free courtesy vehicle, and carry out repairs with guaranteed parts and techniques. Once this has been completed you will need to pay your excess directly to them, along with the VAT if your company is VAT registered.

In the case of motor claims, if the damage is not economical to repair, the repairer will work out the pre-incident value of your vehicle and notify your insurers. Your claims settlement will be made based on this value, with your excess and any applicable VAT deducted. In some circumstances you may be able to keep ownership of the vehicle. Please discuss this with you claims handler directly.

If you wish to use your own repairer, this can be arranged. Please let your claims handler know as soon as possible. You will need to have a repairs estimate completed, which will be sent to your insurer for approval. Please note that we can only provide a replacement vehicle if you are using a pre-approved insurer repairer. We are unable to consider the cost of any hire vehicles.

Another company has offered to pay for my claim, should I say yes?

This will depend on who has contacted you. If you have been contacted by another party's insurance company, and they are accepting full blame for the incident, it is your decision. There are a couple of positives to claiming through a third party's insurance company - namely that you will not need to pay your policy excess. However, if something goes wrong or you are unhappy with your experience, we are limited in the support we can offer you.With claiming through your own insurers we have access to escalation points and are able to put pressure on them to get things done right - this is not something we are able to do with third party insurance companies. In any case you will need to notify us of the incident - so if you're unsure of what to do, your claims handler will be able to advise you further.

If you have been contacted by a company who do not directly insure another party involved, are suggesting that you 'may' have been injured when you feel fine, or have told you another insurance company has a pile of money set aside for you - tread carefully. Sometimes people who are involved in claims will find themselves being contacted by outside companies, who are out to benefit financially from your confusion. If you're unsure, your best course of action is to speak to your dedicated claims handler.

My question isn't answered on this page!
No two claims are the same. If you have any further questions, want to clarify the steps you need to take, or ask for guidance, please contact your dedicated claims handler. We are on hand to help you through this process with our expert knowledge and claims experience. Needing to claim can be a stressful time, but we are here to make the journey as smooth as possible.