The power behind renewable energy projects
Renewable energy supply projects face many challenges and unique risks. Insurance is often seen as a necessary evil driven by either legal or contractual requirements. However, engaging with insurers early on can be a cost benefit. It enables them to review your designs to ensure the right loss controls are factored in and the correct construction and operational risks controls are implemented. Broker selection is also key to:
- Assist you to negotiate better terms on finance.
- Reduce the risk of additional CAPEX costs due to retrofitting insurer requirements.
- Understand insurer risk appetite to ensure that your site is insurable once operational.
- Utilise knowledge of the renewable energy insurance market to benchmark and flag any potential risks or claims that could occur at your project, aiming to reduce your claims costs.
Luckily, we understand this complex industry and the various associated risks. So, whether you have a new start up project, or you're a more established power generation, we can help.
- Global reach, local focus – we combine the power of Marsh with the passion of our people; delivering world-class expertise with a personal touch, all on your doorstep.
- Recognised by the renewable energy industry – we are valued members of the Renewable Energy Association and the Anaerobic Digestion and Bioresources Association.
- Strong reputation and relationships with insurers – we offer due diligence on the design, construction, and operational controls that insurers expect, or a gap analysis on your current insurance programme. We can negotiate the best policy, cover and lenders agreements, to help make your projects bankable. Find out more about the cost benefit of insurance here.
- We’ll be there if you have to make a claim – our in-house teams of claims managers and loss adjusters make the process efficient and solution-focused, should you need support with a claim.
We support specialist renewable energy sectors
Combined heat and power units
District heat network
Gas filling stations
Geothermal plant insurance
Waste to energy
Why choose us for your renewable energy insurance?
We're experts at providing cover across the whole renewable energy sector. We're the power behind your renewable energy project. Our team of specialist renewable energy insurance experts understand this ever-changing industry and are here to help.
By taking the time to assess your individual needs, we'll explore the renewable energy insurance market and arrange the cover that's just right for your business.
We are a valued member of the Renewable Energy Association and the Anaerobic Digestion and Bioresources Association.
Find out why we're the power behind your renewable energy project
Review our credentials
Quality service and professional advice from passionate people
Here to help you reach net-zero
Reaching net-zero is perhaps one of the greatest challenges society has ever faced. Urgent action is needed to halve carbon emissions by 2030 and reach net-zero levels by 2050. Whether you are right at the beginning of your journey to net-zero, have taken the first few tentative steps, or are well along the road to carbon neutrality, we are here to help.
Renewable energy projects
From concept to operation, your renewable energy project is at risk, which could be caused by a lack of adherence to contractual requirements, risk management and supply chain issues. We can provide full contract advice, construction and operational insurance programs to protect your investment.
Renewable energy insurance FAQs
Your policy should match the specific complexities of your project and there is no one-size-fits-all solution. We work with insurers to tailor coverage to suit your needs from project planning through to operational. This can include product cover such as:
- Construction/erection all risks (EAR) and liability covers (TPL), plus delay in start-up.
- Owner controlled insurance programme (OCIP)
- Operational 'all risks' property damage, machinery breakdown and business interruption.
- Environmental liability.
- Marine cargo including (DSU) / advance loss of profit (ALOP).
- Employers, public liability and products liability, Directors & Officers (D&O) and trustee liability.
The cost of your insurance will depend on many factors such as:
- The types and level of cover you require
- The loss controls that you have in place
- The maintenance of your project
- The installed capacity of your project
- The security and access to the site.
Our specialist renewable energy insurance experts can help explore the renewable energy market and arrange cover that’s right for your business.
We support specialist renewable energy sectors including:
- Anaerobic Digestion (AD) and biogas plant insurance
- Battery energy storage systems (BESS) insurance
- Biomass plant insurance
- Combined heat and power units
- District heat network
- Electric vehicle (EV) charging networks
- Gas filling stations
- Geothermal plant insurance
- Hydro plant insurance
- Marine insurance
- Solar energy insurance (minimum capacity 250kW for commercial purposes)
- Waste to energy
- Wind farm insurance (on and offshore) (minimum capacity 250kW)
Our team of specialist renewable energy insurance experts understand this ever-changing industry and are here to help. By taking the time to assess your individual needs, we'll explore the renewable energy insurance market and arrange the cover that's right for your business. That's why we're a valued member of the Renewable Energy Association and the Anaerobic Digestion and Bioresources Association.
- Specialist – over 400+ renewable energy clients across the UK.
- Experience – Actively engaged in future-proofing the UK’s renewable energy market.
- Consultative – We’re advisers, not salespeople, here to support you, your project and your stakeholders.
- Committed – Representing your best efforts and what is best for your project.
- Capable – Access to insurance and risk services as part of one of the world’s largest brokers, Marsh McLennan.
Anaerobic digestion insurance
We know anaerobic digestion is a complex and specialist market. We understand the challenges and risks your business faces – from the planning stages to being fully operational.
Battery energy storage insurance
Battery energy storage systems are now at the forefront of the UK’s renewable energy mix with the technology being a key factor in maintaining power supply and avoiding outages at peak times of power usage in the UK. We can arrange insurance for battery energy storage projects of any size.
One of the key goals set out in the government's 25-year environment plan is to eliminate avoidable waste of all kinds by 2050. Biomass plays a significant role in this journey, and we can support you.
EV charging point insurance
The Charging Infrastructure Investment Fund has created opportunities for companies to invest in electric vehicle (EV) charger installation throughout the UK. As specialists in EV charger installation insurance, we’re here to support it.
We can provide hydro insurance cover from planning through to the site being fully operational.
Looking for innovative and tailored marine renewables insurance to cover your business against on and offshore risks?
Whether you are an installer, investor, funder or project manager of a solar project we can offer bespoke insurance cover for both the construction, erection and operational phase of your solar project