Expert battery energy storage insurance brokers
Battery energy storage systems are now at the forefront of the UK’s renewable energy mix with the technology being a key factor in maintaining power supply and avoiding outages at peak times of power usage in the UK.
We can arrange insurance for battery energy storage projects of any size in the UK across all stages of the project offering the following covers:
Legal Indemnity Covers (lack of easements, restrictive covenants), Abortive Planning Costs Cover, Judicial Review Cover
Contractors All Risks, Advanced Loss of Profit, Terrorism, Marine Transit, Public Liability
Operational All Risks including Loss of Revenue, Terrorism, Public Liability, Cyber Liability, Environmental Liability
How our battery energy storage experts can help
For any developers, EPC contractors or owner/operators looking to insure a battery energy storage project, our experienced insurance experts are on hand to help you understand and help mitigate the risks involved. They have key industry relationships to help find you the right cover to protect you if things go wrong.
Insurance and risk management for battery energy storage
With any emerging technology like battery energy storage, comes new risk to insurers however one issue that is relatively well known in this sector is the risk of fire. We break down fire mitigation for battery energy storage projects into four main areas when sourcing the best insurance solution:
Planning and Design: Considerations include the overall design of the site and specifically the separation of battery containers and other major equipment i.e transformers, inverters and sub stations. Fire walls could also been introduced into the design of battery energy storage projects. These are generally constructed of concrete or composite materials and positioned between containers.
Construction: The key issue here is in respect of the experience and familiarity of the EPC contractor with battery energy storage technology. Other important construction factors include the use of non-combustible materials within the insulation of the battery containers and the chosen ventilation and suppression systems for the site.
Fire protection systems: Battery energy storage operators should ensure an adequate water supply is available for firefighters and that the local fire brigade have visited to familiarise themselves with the site. The fire brigade will ideally have a plan devised to prevent any re-ignition scenarios and thermal runaway. Remote and continuous online monitoring, early detection sensors, appropriate venting to avoid the build-up of gas and automatic fire suppression systems to FPA 855 standard should also be in place.
Maintenance: Every battery energy storage site should have a dedicated maintenance schedule including monthly preventive checks, thermographic testing and spare parts should be readily available to minimise business interruption losses
Protecting your renewable energy project
From concept to operation, your renewable energy project is at risk, which could be caused by a lack of adherence to contractual requirements, risk management and supply chain issues. We can provide full contract advise, construction and operational insurance programs to protect your investment.
Frequently asked questions
- the number of turbines you want to cover;
- the make and model of the turbine(s);
- where the turbine(s) are located;
- the MW power of the turbine(s);
- the claims history;
- the level of cover and the types of cover your require;
- the maintenance of the turbine(s) and;
- the security and access to the site.
Your policy should match the specific complexities of your project and there is no one-size-fits-all solution. We work with insurers to tailor coverage to suit your needs from project planning through to operational. This can include product cover such as:
- Construction/erection all risks (EAR) and liability covers (TPL), plus delay in start-up.
- Owner controlled insurance programme (OCIP)
- Operational 'all risks' property damage, machinery breakdown and business interruption.
- Environmental liability.
- Marine cargo including (DSU) / advance loss of profit (ALOP).
- Employers, public liability and products liability, Directors & Officers (D&O) and trustee liability.
We support specialist renewable energy sectors including:
- Anaerobic Digestion (AD) and biogas plant insurance
- Battery energy storage systems (BESS) insurance
- Biomass plant insurance
- Combined heat and power units
- District heat network
- Electric vehicle (EV) charging networks
- Gas filling stations
- Geothermal plant insurance
- Hydro plant insurance
- Marine insurance
- Solar energy insurance (minimum capacity 250kW for commercial purposes)
- Waste to energy
- Wind farm insurance (on and offshore) (minimum capacity 250kW)
The cost of your insurance will depend on many factors such as:
- The types and level of cover you require
- The loss controls that you have in place
- The maintenance of your project
- The installed capacity of your project
- The security and access to the site.
Our specialist renewable energy insurance experts can help explore the renewable energy market and arrange cover that’s right for your business.
Our team of specialist renewable energy insurance experts understand this ever-changing industry and are here to help. By taking the time to assess your individual needs, we'll explore the renewable energy insurance market and arrange the cover that's right for your business. That's why we're a valued member of the Renewable Energy Association and the Anaerobic Digestion and Bioresources Association.
- Specialist – over 400+ renewable energy clients across the UK.
- Experience – Actively engaged in future-proofing the UK’s renewable energy market.
- Consultative – We’re advisers, not salespeople, here to support you, your project and your stakeholders.
- Committed – Representing your best efforts and what is best for your project.
- Capable – Access to insurance and risk services as part of one of the world’s largest brokers, Marsh McLennan.