Farmshield Agricultural Contractors' Insurance

Who needs agricultural contractors insurance?

As a supplier of spraying and fertiliser spreading services, cultivation, drilling, harvesting or hedge cutting services to businesses in the agricultural industry, you face many risks and challenges. We understand these risks and have developed Farmshield, our in-house liability scheme that offers protection for agricultural contractors and associated trades in need of public liability insurance.

How our agricultural contractors insurance team can help you

With many years of experience in the field of agricultural contractors insurance, it's safe to say our team of farm insurance experts know a thing or two about this market. 

We understand the challenges you face as a contractor; we find ways to manage your risks and arrange cover to protect you.

Why choose us for agricultural contractors' insurance?

We have more than 50 years experience in agriculture and a team of specialist agricultural insurance brokers that understand the needs of your business.

How agricultural contractors insurance protects you

Farmshield is an exclusive scheme that protects your business against risks such as spray drift, failure to germinate and incorrect agronomy advice that results in loss or damage to crops.

The cover also includes (but is not limited to) the following:

  • public/product liability from £1m - £5m
  • damage to crops being treated
  • errors and omissions 
  • failure of chemical to perform its function
  • incorrect advice given with products supplied, provided no fee for that advice is charged
  • environmental cleanup costs related to public liability
  • loss of yield
  • crop striping
  • Excess starting from £500
  • cover for machinery and plant is also available.
As with all insurances terms and conditions, excesses and exclusions apply. For full details of cover and exclusions please refer to the policy document.

Frequently asked questions

Why should I have agricultural contractor insurance?

As a contractor, much of the work you do on your client's farms involve day-to-day risks, involving:

  • Injury to others
  • Damage to crops
  • Livestock
  • Equipment
  • Theft of property
  • Illness
  • Weather events
  • Legal costs

These are just a few examples; there are many more that can have a devastating impact on your business. By having the correct farming contractors insurance in place, you will be protected from these risks when you need it most.

Will a public liability policy provide cover if I am negligent?

Yes. Public liability policy wordings refer to cover being triggered by an accident, this includes negligence. An accident is considered to be an undesired mishap or unexpected event. As the insured, it's your responsibility to prove that an accidental incident has occurred and that it was not deliberate or planned; this applies to property damage and liability claims. You'll find a more detailed explanation in the relevant policy wording.

As a contractor, do I need public liability insurance?

As an agricultural contractor, you need to protect yourself against compensation claims made by a member of the public for injury or damage to their property. For example, someone may trip over your tools when you're working and sustains an injury. If you're held responsible, your public liability insurance could cover the legal fees and compensation costs.

Should I insure against the costs of the environmental damage I might cause?

If you are held responsible for an incident that's caused environmental pollution, the Environment Agency has the power to impose cleanup costs upon you. This includes the costs incurred by their consultants or contractors. Accidents happen, so we would strongly recommend you protect yourself against the possibility of causing environmental liability

What types of agricultural equipment typically require inspection?

Many machines around a farm require regular checks to keep them in good working condition and to ensure they comply with Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER).1


What is covered under legal protection?

Our specialist legal expenses cover for contractors will protect you in the event of contract disputes, criminal prosecution, wrongful arrest, employment disputes, property disputes, tax, arbitration and agricultural land, basic payment scheme, personal injury and more.

How often am I required to undertake Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) inspections?

Lifting equipment has to be inspected once a year unless it has a man cage, in which case, it must be checked every six months.