Insurance for mental health services

How can our mental health insurance experts help?

Insurance is just one way our team can support you and your business.

It’s our job to manage your risks to protect your business, your staff and the people you care for.

  • Simplicity
    We understand the pressure you’re under every day and do everything we can to ensure your insurance options are presented simply, expertly, and impartially.
  • Experience
    Recognising every mental health provider is unique; our healthcare team offers a wealth of experience, takes a long-term view, and tailors your solution to your specific needs.
  • Protection
    We do our due diligence upfront, and extensive work behind the scenes with our panel of insurers, to ensure the mental health liability insurance you have in place is just right for you.

Our healthcare insurance advisors 

Our team has decades of experience in the healthcare sector. We recognise every business is unique, and offer our advice and guidance to help you protect your complex world.

We offer a range of services to help you reduce risk, and adapt to your ever-changing world so you are able to focus on your business.

Insurance for mental health providers

Our team works with key insurers to provide leading solutions for mental health service providers, helping protect their reputation, tackle everyday challenges, and remain compliant. We service a wide range of mental health support services, including hospitals, inpatient and outpatient services.

  • Care homes
    Cover across all aspects of mental health residential care. Services for all ages from children to elderly.
  • Supported living
    For providers of respite care services, home help, supported housing, supported housing with care and day care services.
  • Rehabilitation
    Facilities providing treatment for addictions such as drug and alcohol addiction.
  • Specialist community services
    Providers offering specialist mental health services for people of all ages, including people in crisis or living with a learning disability or autism.

What our mental health liability insurance covers

In a standard Markel insurance policy, you’ll be covered for:

  • Public and products liability
  • Professional liability including medical malpractice
  • Management liability (executive liability)
  • Employers’ liability.

All mention of enhancements to cover, or of discounts, is in comparison to Markel’s standard open market offering.

Governing bodies

We are here when you need us. We're dedicated to ensuring our care home insurance products and services keep up with the pace of change. You can be confident any insurance we arrange for you will fully meet the requirements of the following bodies:

Care Quality Commission in England (CQC).
Regulation Quality Improvement Authority in Ireland (RQIA).
Care and Social Services Inspectorate in Wales (CSSIW).
Care Inspectorate (CI) and Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS).

Efficient claims service

Should you need to make a claim, we're here to advise and negotiate on your behalf.

Your Marsh Commercial adviser can manage the process through to settlement - allowing you to focus on running your care business.

Frequently asked questions

Does my business need employers liability insurance?
Yes. Under the Employers Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act, if your company employs staff, you are required by law to have employers liability insurance in place. This insurance will enable you to meet the cost of any compensation due should an employee suffer injuries or illness, whether they are caused on or off-site.
When do I need to get employers liability cover for my healthcare practice?
You will need to have employers' liability cover in place from the day your care business employs staff. Whether paid or not, you are at risk of legal action from the moment you have any staff for who you are responsible. To qualify as 'staff', a person does not have to be paid or under contract to you; it can be any person you have a legal duty of care over. This means sometimes even sole traders will need employers liability insurance.
What is the minimum cover I need to have in place for my care business?
The level of cover required is dependent on many factors and we would need to assess the requirements of the business and make recommendations based on the information provided. There are also other factors that can dictate the level of cover needed, such as the types of people you are caring for or Local Authority requirements to meet the terms of the contract.
How much public liability insurance will I need?
The level of cover you need depends on the risks your practice faces. Cover can be anywhere from £2m to £10m or beyond. The patients you deal with, or local authority contracts you have tendered for may dictate the minimum value of cover you need.

Read our latest health and care industry articles