Why do you need specific rail insurance cover?
We know that rail companies face a number of risks in their day to day operations. We provide insurance solutions for all types of rail organisations, including passenger service and freight operators, rolling stock leasing companies, locomotive owners, heritage railways, storage facilities, maintenance and engineering companies, rolling stock and product manufacturers, and professional service companies.
- Bespoke solutions
We create rail specific solutions built to your exact needs which can protect your rail assets, revenue, legal liabilities and reputation. We help to identify potential exposures that could leave your business vulnerable or failing to meet contractual or regulatory requirements.
- Highly specialised insurance
Our rail specialists have market-leading knowledge meaning you can rely upon our insight, advice and support. Our rail partner insurers are involved in 5 of the top 10 railway companies in the world and rolling stock insured by them carries more than 2 billion passengers per year.
- Rail claims support
We have first-hand experience of resolving complex rail claims arising from incidents such as: fires, collisions, breakdowns, derailments, lost revenue, cancellation, and passenger, employee and volunteer injury.
How we can help
We are a multi-award winning client advisory business serving 250,000 clients across 80 offices. We are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies (MMC), a global leader in risk, strategy and people in more than 130 countries. The backing of MCC means that all rail insurance clients benefit from added insight, services and capability that a global business offers, meaning we can help you wherever you do business.
- Protecting rail vehicles - All Risks for owned and hired-in rail vehicles anywhere in the UK extending to breakdown, re-railing and recovery, and explosion and collapse
- Protecting assets and infrastructure – machinery, tools, stock and buildings
- Protecting revenue - loss of revenue following an insured event, such as a fire, theft or breakdown
- Protecting liabilities - Employers’ Liability, Third Party Liability to £155m, Professional Indemnity, Management Liability, Cyber Liability
What we do
We arrange insurance cover for the entire sphere of rail organisations including:
- Innovative ORR compliant Third Party Liability insurance for the UK’s best known mainline train and freight operating companies
- Damage and Breakdown insurance for the majority of mainline steam locomotives
- Property and Liability insurance for fleet maintenance, engineering and storage companies
- Professional Indemnity insurance for rail technology companies
- Insurance for rolling stock product design and manufacture companies
- Public Liability insurance for Rail Industry events
- Tour Operators Liability for rail tour organisers
Train and freight operating companies
We are proud to insure a number of the UK’s best known train operators including the operation of excursion passenger trains, commuter services and freight. Our products are compliant with Office of Rail and Road (ORR) Third Party Liability general approval requirements for license holders.
Rolling Stock Insurance
If you provide safe and reliable rolling stock for short-term operations or long term hire we have wide expertise providing rolling stock insurance for companies that own, maintain and overhaul all types of rolling stock and associated equipment which are leased to rail operators for use on the network.
Mainline and heritage locomotives
If you are dedicated to preserving and operating historic steam and diesel locomotives on the mainline and heritage railways of Great Britain, we can help you arrange appropriate damage, breakdown, revenue protection and liability insurance. In fact, we insure the majority of mainline registered locomotives including the world famous, Flying Scotsman.
We insure modern and heritage rolling stock engineering and restoration companies such as boiler and mechanical specialists. We can help you if you carry out train servicing and routine fleet maintenance, or the heaviest of vehicle component and re-engineering projects for passenger, freight and infrastructure fleet owners.
Whether you have kilometers of sidings, warehousing with large capacity for storage of third party rolling stock, wheel-sets, bogies, furnishings, body shells or general components, we have experience placing insurance for some of the UK’s largest and most extensive storage facilities.
Rail product design and manufacture
We can arrange insurance for companies that go from design and development, through to manufacture, service and in-field product support building on established product lines and providing innovation and evolution to today’s marketplace.
Dedicated to preserving Britain’s heritage and recreating the golden age of steam for thousands of passengers every year, we protect heritage traction and rolling stock, infrastructure, revenue, volunteers and passengers.
The latest transport and logistics articles
Find out the insurance implications of COVID-19 for cargo owners and cargo carriers and the steps you can take to protect your business.
Another cold snap of winter 2018 is sweeping across the country, so it feels like a fitting time to remind both you and your employees of a few safety tips to help you keep your vehicles safe.
What our clients say
They have acted for our business for many years. Their values reflect our own in providing quality, safe and reliable trains.
We discussed our insurance needs with the rail team in depth. It was clear from the start that they understood the sector which gave us great comfort.
Frequently asked questions
Our proposition is wider than insurance protection. We can provide:
- Contract review service - we analyse your hire/operating agreements to ensure you meet contractual requirements.
- Risk Management specific to rail.
- Claims support with a dedicated rail claims manager.
- Other insurances and services – Engineering Inspection, Professional Indemnity, Management Liability, Cyber Liability, Fleet, Environmental Liability and more.
- Wider proposition – includes Group Life, Healthcare, Employee Benefits, Pensions and Financial Planning.