We're here to help with insurance for builders

You wouldn't think of starting a job without the right equipment. Arranging insurance for your business is no different, so it pays to speak to professionals who can help you.

Your work carries many risks to you, your staff or subcontractors and the general public. You need cover that gives adequate protection against these risks and reassurance for your clients.

We understand the day-to-day risks and challenges you face and can help you find a builders insurance package that forms an essential part of your builder's toolkit, including:

  • Bespoke protection – from sole traders to business managers, our insurance for builders is designed around you, so you only pay for the cover you need.
  • Professional support – our expert team are on hand to answer any questions you have, resolve issues you encounter, and with any claims that arise.

How our team of builders insurance experts can help you

Marsh Commercial are part of a global group with a local community focus. Our team of experts have years of experience supporting tradesmen and contractors like you.

We take time to understand your unique needs to arrange the builders insurance that's right for you.

What cover can builders insurance offer?*

We can arrange the following areas of cover, depending on your business needs:

  • public liability
  • employers liability
  • subcontractor liability
  • contract works
  • plant
  • stored materials
  • tools in transit
  • groundwork risks
  • completed dwellings awaiting sale
  • environmental clean-up
  • vehicles including directors' cars.

*As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. Contact us for full details.


Handyman insurance

From fixing the guttering on a five-storey roof to tending to a light fitting in a domestic property, we know your work is varied and presents different risks to you, your staff or subcontractors, and the general public. You need handyman insurance cover that protects against these risks.

Plant hirers insurance

We know hiring plant is commonplace for many tradesmen and contractors like you working in the building industry. However, it is not without risks: theft, malicious damage, fire, flood, storms or accidental damage. So you need plant hire insurance cover that gives adequate protection.

Plasterer insurance

Whether you're patching up a few holes in a wall or reconstructing a large proportion of a property, we know your work is varied. It presents different risks to you, your staff or subcontractors, and the general public. So you need plasterers insurance that gives you adequate protection against these risks.

Frequently asked questions

Do builders need professional indemnity insurance?
Mistakes happen; no matter how much attention you pay to detail, sometimes projects don't go to plan. As a building contractor, you are liable to pay any legal defence costs and any compensation relating to claims of errors in the design or the construction of your project. Professional indemnity for builders will protect against these costs if a claim is made against you.
What does public liability insurance cover for builders?
Accidents happen; every day, your business is exposed to risks that may cause injury to the public, your customers and anyone visiting your site, as well as property damage. You need to protect yourself against third-party claims arising from these situations. Public liability insurance will cover legal defence costs and compensation costs should you find yourself facing a claim against you.
What does builders insurance cover?

Amongst the dangers you face are falling tools or masonry that could potentially cause harm to people or damage to vehicles, accidentally drilling through water pipes causing major damage, and furniture or flooring becoming damaged or stained due to heavy equipment or corrosive materials. Our builders insurance policy will offer protection for:

  • your vehicles and plant – including the items you hire or loan in or out
  • loss or damage to your property, contract works, and materials on site 
  • timber-framed properties in the course of construction. 
What insurance do builders need?
As well as public liability and professional indemnity insurance, as previously explained, you may need employers liability insurance if you employ staff. This insurance is a legal requirement for limited companies and covers your if an employee is killed or injured as a result of their work.
What insurance does a self-employed builder need?
As a self-employed builder, you will need public liability and professional indemnity insurance. If you employ staff, you're legally required to have employers liability insurance. Professional indemnity insurance will cover any legal costs and damages that you could be liable for, should you or your business make a mistake. You may also consider other types of protection, including your tools and your equipment.