Builders of Great Britain, we're ready to buckle down and get to work with you
By taking out a latent defects insurance policy and engaging with the right broker to get competitive cover, you can spend more time on what matters most. What are you looking for in your insurance partner?
Big enough to keep you safe. As part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, we’re a family with over 35,000 colleagues operating in more than 130 countries.
Small enough to care. A proud UK community broker with a local branch network the length of the country. Join a family of over 19,000 construction clients who have been supported by our 25+ years' involvement in the construction insurance industry.
If you need us on site at 7am, we’ll meet you there.
What does a latent defects insurance policy cover?
- Structural defects
- Ingress of water (excluded for the first 12 months)
- Threat of imminent collapse requiring remedial works to prevent damage caused by a defect in design, materials or workmanship
In the event of a structural claim, additional areas of construction insurance cover can include:
- The costs of demolition to allow rebuilding
- The cost of providing alternative accommodation during the period of the reconstruction or repair.
- Loss of rent/loss of gross profit or revenue/increased cost of working from alternative premises
- Damage to mechanical and electrical services
- Mechanical and/or component failure
The policy is generally available for a period of 10 to 12 years from the date of issue of final certificate of practical completion and is assignable to future owners/tenants/funders. Speak to an expert today to discuss further.
Latent defect claims examples
following badly fitted windows, failure of the rain screen or of basement tanking, defective roofing, defective cladding.
landslip or heave causing damage to the walls.
floor slabs causing damage to floors and walls.
Omission of wind posts
causing damage to floors.
Frequently asked questions
- contract works
- hired in plant
- employees' tools
- your own tools and plant.
The sectors we can cover are:
- your vehicles and plant - including the items you hire or loan in or out
- loss or damage to your property, contract works, and materials on site
- timber-framed properties in the course of construction.
- Rights of light cover.
- Latent defects cover.
- Contingency covers including chancel liability, defective title and restrictive covenant.
- Environmental impairment liability.
- Marine cargo/transit insurance.