Developers of Great Britain, we're ready to get to work with you
By taking out an owner controlled construction insurance programme and engaging with the right broker to get competitive cover, you can spend more time on what matters to you.
What are you looking for in your construction insurance partner?
Big enough to keep you safe. As part of a world-leading insurance group, Marsh & McLennan Companies, we’re a family with over 35,000 colleagues operating in more than 130 countries.
Small enough to care. A proud UK community broker with a local branch network the length of the country. Join a family of over 19,000 construction clients who have been supported by our 25+ years' involvement in the construction insurance industry.If you need us on site at 7am, we’ll meet you there.
What's included in an OCIP?
Your owner controlled insurance programme can include:
- Contract works - all risks of physical loss or damage.
- Existing property - all risks or specified perils to the retained/existing structures.
- Increased costs - cover for increased costs on the works/or works not complete after damage.
- Delay in start up - includes loss of rent, profit and interest after damage to the works.
- Public liability - cover for owner/employer/project manager only.
- Non negligence JCT 6.5.1 - cover for all parties can be arranged if this clause is applicable in your construction contract.
We work with legal advisors to ensure that the insurance clauses within the contract clearly reflect the construction insurances that will be arranged within an OCIP to avoid any confusion in the cover provided and duplication of insurance costs. This includes funder requirements such as coinsured and first loss payee.
Features and benefits of an OCIP
- No uninsured contracts or coverage loopholes.
- Can protect owner’s liabilities where contractors’ are limited.
- Non-cancellable policy for the duration of the project.
- Owners achieve benefits of bulk purchase of insurance in terms of premium costs, coverage and reduced administration costs.
- Avoids duplication of insurances and can save premium for the project.
- Owner can ensure that financiers’ requirements are satisfied – OCIP is a financier’s preferred approach.
- All parties enjoy joint insured status – no subrogation issues.
- Helps to eliminate claims between contracting parties – promotes a “no blame” culture.
- Claims monies are paid direct to the owner.
Frequently asked questions
- contract works
- hired in plant
- employees' tools
- your own tools and plant.
The sectors we can cover are:
- your vehicles and plant - including the items you hire or loan in or out
- loss or damage to your property, contract works, and materials on site
- timber-framed properties in the course of construction.
- Rights of light cover.
- Latent defects cover.
- Contingency covers including chancel liability, defective title and restrictive covenant.
- Environmental impairment liability.
- Marine cargo/transit insurance.