Care home insurance
Why do you need our insurer's care home insurance?
We understand that working in or running a care home can often be as challenging as it is rewarding. We care about care, and offer more than just insurance cover. We want to make your life easier. We will help you keep up to date with the latest regulations and help minimise your risks. We ensure that all relevant checks and surveys are carried out by the insurer and we will work with our Risk Management colleagues to conduct claims reviews.
- Extensive knowledge
We have dedicated care staff that work with the industry every day and therefore understand the problems that you, and you care home face and are there to help.
- All in one place
Aside from the specialist care home insurance products we provide, we can also cater for everyday exposures of fire, flood, theft and workplace liabilities. We make it easy to manage all of your insurance in one place.
- Up to date with regulations
You can be confident that we keep up to date with the constant changes in legislations, and fully meet the requirements of all of the UK’s governing bodies.
How our care home insurance experts can help
We offer specialist advice and guidance for care homes to ensure your business is properly protected. We can help you insure your care home business to cover what matters most and those who matter most to you. With a range of specialities across the team, we are in place to help.
Who does care home insurance cover?
Our partnership with leading insurer Markel means we can cover you whether you run:
- nursing or residential care homes for the elderly
- homes dealing with mental health and mental disorder categories
- homes for service users with learning and physical difficulties
- supported living and sheltered accommodation
- day care services
- children’s homes or agency
- clinics and rehabilitation centres
Helping your care home thrive
Arrange insurance with us today and gain access to a number of benefits in addition to the leading cover:
- Up to 8 hours of free Janjer risk management consultancy (worth as much as £1000 per day)
- 24/7 access to the Markel business and legal helpline
- A DIY legal toolkit, containing over 1000 legal templates written by solicitors and barristers
- A marketing portal where you can create and dispatch your own marketing campaigns (for non-insurance purposes)
- 25% discount for you and your accountant to seek advice on complex tax and VAT matters
Working with Markel
We’re always looking for ways to make your life easier and hassle free. That’s why we’re excited to announce that we have partnered up with the leading insurer Markel International, to offer you an enhanced insurance policy, with the aim of making care home insurance easy.
With over 25 years of experience supporting care and charity clients, Markel is one of the UK’s leading care and charity insurers. Markel is also one of the world's largest insurance companies with strong financial ratings
Exclusive to our partnership with Markel, you will benefit from:
- 20% uplift free of charge on Buildings, General Contents, Shop Front, Computer Equipment and Tenants Improvements, GIT, Damage to Portable Equipment
- Claims Preparations Costs (Material Damage)*
- Residents Effects/Service Users limit doubled to £5k
- Trace and access £50k
- PR Crisis Management doubled to £50k
*The most we will pay out in respect of any one claim is £50,000. Further terms and conditions apply, please see policy wording.
Cover you will receive as part of our standard package:
- Public and products liability
- Professional liability including medical malpractice
- Management liability (executive liability)
- Employers liability
All mention of enhancements to cover, or of discounts, is in comparison to Markel’s standard open market offering.
We are always here for our clients, and work hard to ensure that our care home insurance products and services keep up with the pace of change. Our solutions fully meet the requirements of the following bodies:
• Care Quality Commission in England (CQC).
• Regulation Quality Improvement Authority in Ireland (RQIA).
• Care and Social Services Inspectorate in Wales (CSSIW).
• Care Inspectorate (CI) and Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS)
Efficient claims service
Should the worst happen and you need to make a claim, our specialist care claims team will be on hand to manage the process from claim through to settlement with minimum disruption to your day-to-day activities.
We can advise and negotiate claims for you. We also work with insurers closely to ensure outstanding claims are managed efficiently and reserves are challenged. Where necessary, we are able to provide our clients with claims data and highlight trends and opportunities for risk management intervention.
Medical indemnity insurance
Otherwise known as Medical Malpractice, Medical Indemnity is an essential cover on all of our insurer’s care insurance policies. This cover protects you against a breach of your professional duties. A claim can be made if someone believes that there has been a breach of duty of care or omissions, or professional negligence.
Frequently asked questions
The latest care home insurance articles
Earlier this month the British Medical Association (BMA) hit the headlines when they announced the results of a recent survey of doctors.
When your care services business is at full stretch trying to cope with staff shortages and strained resources, it can be a challenge to achieve an outstanding rating from the CQC.