We're here to help with insurance for joiners

Whether it's building the structure of a house, creating a staircase or making a bespoke kitchen, we know your work is varied and carries different risks. As a professional joiner, you need insurance cover that gives adequate protection against these risks and reassures your clients. 

Because we understand your business and the challenges you face, we arrange joiners insurance that offers:

  • Protection for:
    tools and equipment that you own, as well as those you hire in or loan out
    vehicles or plant used for your work
    property and materials that are lost or damaged whilst on-site, including timber-framed properties under construction
    underground or environmental damage caused by your work.
  • Bespoke cover – whether you're a sole trader or manage a team of joiners, our insurance for joiners is designed around you. You'll only pay for the cover you need.
  • Professional advice and support – throughout the life of your policy, we'll be on hand to help you with any queries, problems or issues you may have. We'll also support you if you need to make a claim.
  • Saving you time – leave the hard work to us; we'll search our selection of the UK's leading and specialist insurers to find the provider that suits you best.

How our team of joiner insurance experts can help you

At Marsh Commercial, we have over 28,000 contractors who have chosen us to manage their insurance needs. That's almost £130m in gross written premium (GWP); you're in good company. 

At Marsh Commercial, we're part of a global group with a local community focus. Our team of experts have years of experience supporting tradesmen and contractors like you.

You wouldn't think of starting a job without the right equipment. Arranging insurance for your business is no different. So it pays to speak to our professionals, and that's why we're here to help you. 

We take time to understand your unique needs to arrange the joiner insurance that's right for you. So can focus on your business.

What cover can joiners insurance offer?*

We can arrange the following areas of cover, depending on your business needs:

  • public liability
  • employers liability
  • subcontractor liability
  • contract works
  • plant
  • vehicles, including directors' cars
  • stored materials
  • tools in transit
  • groundwork risks
  • completed dwellings awaited sale
  • environmental clean-up.

*As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. Contact us for full details.

Carpenters insurance

We know the nature of your work can be dangerous, leaving you, your employees and other individuals open to risks. You need flexible carpenters insurance to protect yourself – and your business. 

Plasterer insurance

Whether you're patching up a few holes in a wall or reconstructing a large proportion of a property, we know your work is varied. It presents different risks to you, your staff or subcontractors, and the general public. So you need plasterers insurance that gives you adequate protection against these risks.

Handyman insurance

From fixing the guttering on a five-storey roof to tending to a light fitting in a domestic property, we know your work is varied and presents different risks to you, your staff or subcontractors, and the general public. You need handyman insurance cover that protects against these risks.

Frequently asked questions

What insurance does a joiner need?
Because your work is so varied, you face many different daily risks and challenges. Therefore, it's essential to protect yourself against these risks by having the right insurance in place. If your tools are damaged or stolen, you would have to pay to repair or replace them without insurance. This could potentially be a high cost to your business. Your tools and materials could also pose a hazard to members of the public. You should have joiners' liability insurance in place to protect against risks that may cause injury to the public or your customers. 
If you employ staff, you're legally required to have employers liability insurance. Professional indemnity insurance will cover any legal costs and damages that you could be liable for should you or your business make a mistake.
Do joiners need public liability insurance?
Accidents happen. Every day, your business is exposed to risks that may cause injury to the public, your customers and anyone visiting your place of work, as well as property damage. You need to protect yourself against third-party claims arising from these situations. Public liability insurance will cover legal defence costs and compensation costs should you face a claim.
Do joiners need professional indemnity insurance?
Mistakes happen; no matter how much attention you pay to detail, sometimes projects don't go to plan. As a joiner, you are liable to pay any legal defence costs and any compensation relating to claims of errors in your work. Joiners professional indemnity insurance will protect against these costs if a claim is made against you.