Locum Insurance Specialists

Why do you need a locum cover specialist?

We are the appointed insurance brokers to hundreds of doctors, dentists, and associated healthcare businesses throughout the UK. We recognise that our clients’ needs are continually evolving and so have created a suite of locum insurance products designed specifically for the medical and dental professions.

Our service has been created to cater for the needs of today’s busy practices. Whether you’re a doctor, dentist or practice manager, our wide-ranging locum cover policy can be tailored to suit the individual needs of your practice and includes cover for:

  • Immediate
    Both our GP locum insurance and practice expenses insurance benefits are payable immediately after a claim is accepted so you are covered when you need it the most.
  • Extensive cover
    You can’t control everything. We can provide expenses insurance to cover you if you are unable to work for any reason including sickness, accidents, delayed return from holiday, jury service and more.
  • Knowledge
    We have a range of experts who work within the healthcare industry so understand the risks to your business. We can tailor our policies to suit your needs.

How our specialist locum insurance experts can help you

We offer specialist advice and guidance for the care sector to ensure your business is properly protected. We can help you insure your business to cover what matters most and those who matter most to you. With a range of specialities across the team, we are in place to help.

Practice expenses cover

Many healthcare professionals have some form of insurance to cover loss of personal earnings in the event of injury or illness. You also need to cover the cost of rent, business rates and finance such as hire of equipment, salaries and other routine practice overheads irrespective of your state of health. Practice expenses cover is designed to meet these costs in the event that you are unable to work through accidental injury or as a result of sickness.

Medical indemnity insurance

Otherwise known as Medical Malpractice, Medical Indemnity is an essential cover on all of our insurer’s care insurance policies. This cover protects you against a breach of your professional duties. A claim can be made if someone believes that there has been a breach of duty of care or omissions, or professional negligence.

Free for all care locum insurance clients

All our Locum Insurance and Practice Expenses clients benefit from valuable, free services from our professional advisers:

 • CQC compliance and guidance - phone consultation to support you with compliance and best practice principles in relation to the Care Quality Commission, subject to conditions. 
 • Tax and legal guidance - initial phone consultation with expert business partners. 

Efficient claims service

Should the worst happen and you need to make a claim, our specialist care insurance claims team will be on hand to manage the process from claim through to settlement with minimum disruption to your day-to-day activities.

We can advise and negotiate claims for you. We also work with insurers closely to ensure outstanding claims are managed efficiently and reserves are challenged. Where necessary, we are able provide our clients with claims data and highlight trends and opportunities for risk management intervention.

Frequently asked questions

What is GP locum insurance for surgeries?
Locum insurance for GP surgeries and practices protects you in the case of an accident, sickness or absence that affects your business.
Does my care business need Employers’ Liability Insurance?
Yes. Under the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act, all organisations that have staff are required by law to have Employers Liability Insurance.
When do I need to get Employers Liability cover for my care business?
You require employers’ liability cover from the day your care business starts employing staff. From the moment you have any person to whom you are responsible, whether paid or not, you are at risk of legal action. To qualify as "staff" a person does not have to be paid or under contract to you. It includes any person to whom you have a legal duty of care. This means that sometimes even sole traders will need employers’ liability insurance.
What is the minimum cover I need to have in place for my care business?
You are legally required to have cover for compensation of at least £5 million, but most policies will offer cover for £10 million. The cost of your care provider insurance premium is usually based on a number of factors including: the nature of your business; the number of people you employ (and/or the payroll cost); your previous insurance claims. In the case of larger organisations or where a number of employees are in one location, increased limits are recommended.
How much Public Liability insurance will I need?
The level of cover you need is related to the amount of risk faced by your business. Cover can be anywhere from £2m to £10m or beyond. The minimum value could be dictated by the clients you work with, or local authority contracts you have tendered for.