5 Reasons You Need a Healthy Work-life Balance
Because values your wellness and overall health, here are five reasons you should avoid working too hard if your work-life balance involves more ‘work’ than ‘life’:
1. Working long hours negatively impacts your health. People who work more than 55 hours per week have a 33 per cent higher risk of stroke than those who work normal hours. Also, their sedentary lifestyles are linked to increased stress levels and unhealthy eating habits.
2. Working long hours doesn’t inflate your bank account. In Britain, 1 in 4 employees works at least seven hours of unpaid overtime.
3. Working long hours doesn’t mean that you’re getting more work done. Studies have shown that employees who work long hours accomplish the same amount of work as those who work normal business hours.
4. Time away from work increases creativity and open-mindedness. Spending time away from the workplace allows people to see their challenges in a different light and find solutions more easily.
5. There is more to life than work. Taking time away from work allows you to grow as a person and provides an outlet for stress.
The content of this article is of general interest and is not intended to apply to specific circumstances. It does not purport to be a comprehensive analysis of all matters relevant to its subject matter. The content should not, therefore, be regarded as constituting legal advice and not be relied upon as such. In relation to any particular problem which they may have, readers are advised to seek specific advice. Further, the law may have changed since first publication and the reader is cautioned accordingly. © 2016 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.